Thursday, February 3, 2011

Studio Dreamin'

I went to visit with my sisters this holiday season, and they took me to see lots of pottery.
Mmmm pottery...

To be honest, I have avoided pottery for a while now, since I don't have a studio set up in this house. My gas kiln can't be hooked up the way the gas is configured in this house, at least not without a huge amount of expensive work.

But three weeks ago, I finally bought an electric kiln.

This is what it looks like:


It is an L &L e28t, and just little smaller than my gas kiln was.

I was so excited, I could barely sleep!! So, I spent my time scrounging and cleaning and moving things around, and setting up a studio space.

The kiln finally arrived last week, but as I checked it out on the freight truck, the kiln lid was damaged. The soft bricks that make up the top were crushed and big chunks had fallen into the interior of the kiln. I called the company, and they told me to return it, and they would send me another.

The replacement was due to arrive this week just as a massive snow storm was due to hit, so I was sure I would miss out on my kiln again, but just as the snow started swirling, the truck pulled up, and we unpacked it in the beginnings of a blizzard.

Now it is all safe and sound in the basement, awaiting the electrician. The part he needs really was delayed by the storm, so it will probably be next week before I can plug the big fella in and see how it works.

Next comes the exciting process of learning how to fire an electric kiln (which is very different than what I am used to!) and how to mix up and apply the glazes for the different type of firing.
It is a whole new unexplored world.
Stressful, but in a wonderful way!!

3 comments:

Earth N Elements Pottery said...

I love my little L&L kiln, let me know what you think of yours. You will love that you can program it.

coltpixy said...

I'm so glad to see you again! Have fun with your new toy.

Judith Frederick said...

Welcome back to the world of clay. have fun exploring all the new things associated with your new kiln and your renewed energy that comes from your break from clay. Glad to see your avatar in the mud thread again.